Category Archives: Roger Lowe

National & International Winning Fanciers Part 5

Old Bird Racing Part 2

Are the early Nationals used for training the long distance birds?

Mark: I have two teams of pigeons, my middle distance and my long distance. The middle distance team are sent to win up to 450 miles and my long distance team will also go for education purposes. You cannot expect to win out of 20,000 pigeons in an International race if they have not had some work before hand. For a middle distance National race I will have about 30% middle distance birds in to compete and the other 70% will be going for education. They are just slower pigeons that need time on the wing. Continue reading National & International Winning Fanciers Part 5

National & International Winning Fanciers 4


Old Bird Racing Part 1

When do you couple your race birds?

Roger: After Blackpool Pigeon Show, which is normally the third weekend in January. I let the young birds go out of these pairs and some people think I am letting my best go out but I can’t keep them all and if someone gets a fantastic racer or two out of them then I happy anyway. Continue reading National & International Winning Fanciers 4

National & International Winning Fanciers 3

Resting Winter Period

Is there any change to your feeding once the moult has finished?

Roger:  As time is limited between the finish of the moult to winter breeding I just give 50% barley and 50% best all round from Gem Corns. With the Gem food I use Best All Round as my main food and mix other seeds with it to suit the season we are in. They are also fed in a hopper at this time until the cocks go on the widowhood system. Continue reading National & International Winning Fanciers 3